READING IS CENTRAL
TO WHAT WE DO
At ESSA, we believe that reading is at the heart of everything we do. It is a skill that opens doors to knowledge, imagination, and endless opportunities. In this section, we want to emphasise the importance of reading in the life of our students and why it is central to our school's mission.
WHY READING MATTERS AT ESSA
1. **Building Strong Foundations:** Reading is one of the fundamental skills that form the basis of academic success. It is the key to unlocking knowledge across all subjects.
2. **Boosting Vocabulary:** Reading enriches a child's vocabulary. Exposure to a wide range of words through books and texts enhances communication skills and helps children express themselves more effectively.
3. **Fostering Creativity:** Imagination thrives through reading. When children dive into the world of stories, they develop creativity and the ability to think critically.
4. **Improving Concentration:** Reading requires focus and attention, which are skills essential not only for learning but also for life in general.
5. **Empathy and Understanding:** Books expose children to diverse perspectives, cultures, and characters. This fosters empathy and a better understanding of the world around them.
6. **Enhancing Well-being:** Reading can be a source of comfort and relaxation. It's a wonderful way for children to unwind and escape into different worlds.
Reading Facts in Primary School
- Did you know that children who are read to at home have a significant advantage when they start school? They often have a larger vocabulary and a better understanding of phonics.
- By the age of six, children who are read to regularly have heard approximately 1.4 million more words than those who are not, which can greatly impact their language development.
- The more children read, the better they become at it. Reading regularly not only improves reading skills but also boosts comprehension and overall academic performance.
- Reading for just 20 minutes a day exposes children to approximately 1.8 million words a year! Imagine the knowledge and worlds they can explore through those words.
At ESSA, we are committed to nurturing a love for reading in every child. Our dedicated teachers, well-stocked library, and reading-focused initiatives ensure that reading is not just a subject but a way of life at our school. We encourage parents to join us in this journey by reading with their children and fostering a love for books that will last a lifetime.
All children in Reception and Year 1 have daily phonics lessons using Little Wandle. Children in Year 2 and above who require some extra reading support have daily 'Rapid Catch Up' sessions.